Welcome to Pratico e Chique blog.
We are a Real Estate company who work
mainly with the luxury market in Cascais, Portugal.
Here you gonna find all the information you need to know of our beautiful city.
You can also find here some of the best houses for sale and for rent.

Friday, 11 November 2011

Church / Igreja Matriz de Nossa Senhora da Assunção


  
 
Church of Our Lady of the Assumption

Located near the Fort and the Citadel of the old Convent of Our Lady of Mercy, the array of Cascais, under the invocation of Our Lady of the Assumption, is very old. The picture of Brau, dated 1572, has already signaled a church on the site. Are you aware of the cult have passed in 1671 for the chapel of Relief - the current history of the Mariners Church - because of a campaign of restoration and general improvement. On December 21, 1681 is reopened for worship.The 1755 earthquake caused enough damage in the church especially in the area of ​​the façade and the choir, preventing normal operation. The cult began to take place in the small chapel of Our Lady of Nazareth - the former home of the Hawks. Having been destroyed also the church of the Resurrection of Christ, located at the entrance of the village, there is now a single parish encompassing the two previously existing, and the parish together the two names - Parish of Our Lady of the Assumption and Resurrection.

Description

The church is a longitudinal plan of great simplicity abroad. The main facade, facing west, is composed of three bodies separated by masonry piers. The main body has a portal straight rod with a triangular attic, and three large windows, illuminating the choir, the central differentiating the curve shot wicker highlighted. The two bell towers side of square section, are topped by pyramidal cover.The church interior is large and clear, with a very rich ornament component, articulating tile flooring with gilt and paint.At the entrance on the right, presents the Baptistery dome and the walls covered with polychrome geometric tile, a tile panel with a representation of St. Peter at the front wall and the stone baptismal font, circular, decorated with grooves.The choir, addorsed to the inner face of the facade, has guard rails of wood based on broad coverage and depressed arch-vaulted.The ship has coverage with a barrel vault painting in the central medallion with the Assumption, by José Malhoa, the early twentieth century.It has four side altars and gilded in the "national style".On the right side the altar of St. Michael, the brotherhood of St. Michael and Souls. The front, datable about 1640, discovered during restoration work in the interior between 1969 and 1973, is remarkable for the richness of the composition. Displays at the central three small figures: St. Michael the center in a rectangular frame, flanked by two medallions with Souls in Purgatory. The chapel of the Blessed Sacrament, has an altar in gilt and marbled with a Last Supper of the century. XVIII of the authorship of Peter of Alexandria. The grid of wood carving, carpentry piece of national, is remarkable for the design and gilt.On the left side, the altar of Our Lady of Mount Caramel and the altar of St. Peter with a wood carving upholstered century. XVII, in St. Peter's Chair, large.The walls of the nave are covered with panels of tile historian dating mostly from 1720, with an ornamental composition albarradas in the lower register. They represent scenes from the life of Our Lady, and the left, the Virgin Birth, the Presentation in the Temple of Our Lady and The Betrothal of the Virgin. On the right, here are the Annunciation and the Birth of Jesus. The last panel, Judgement, is more recent - 1908 - written by Pereira Cao.Above the tiled ashlar sets out a series of eight paintings on canvas authored by Josefa de Obidos, from the former Convent of Our Lady of Mercy of the Discalced Carmelites and transferred here following the termination of the religious orders in 1834. Relate to the life and spirituality of St. Teresa of Avila, dated 1672-73. On the right the representation of the Child Jesus Savior of the World, Holy Family and Vision of St. John of the Cross; left: Santa Teresa Wife Mystic, The Virgin and St. Joseph give a necklace to Santa Teresa, Santa Teresa Dr. Mystic inspired by the Holy Spirit , Transverberation Santa Teresa and Santa Teresa in front of the Trinity.The pulpit on the left side, circular, marble is the century. XVII. The triumphal arch perfect round freestone, preceding the main chapel is flanked by two side altars Marian invocation: the right side of the Immaculate Conception, on the left of Our Lady of Candlemas.The main chapel has an altarpiece in gilded "national style" chaired by the image of Our Lady of the Assumption. The chapel is lined with colored tiles similar to the baptismal chapel.In the chancel there are four panels sixteenth century - the first quarter of the sixteenth century - attributed to the Master of Lourinhã. There are four paintings representing most likely part of an altarpiece primitive. It consists of a diptych with the Annunciation - the Angel and Virgin - and two panels representing respectively the Nativity and the Adoration of the Magi.The hall of the ancient Brotherhood of Seamen, with access from the main chapel is rectangular. The walls are completely covered with tiles of figurative composition, a remarkable, monochrome, blue on white background, probably Monogram PMP , Dated 1720, order of the Brotherhood, according to its inscription: THIS WORK marched into the SVA CVSTA BROTHERS FISHING IN THE ERA OF 1720. They refer to passages in the Old Testament: King David playing in front of the Ark; installation in the temple the ark of the covenant, Crossing the Red Sea. On the front wall, a large chests, lined with two tile panels, with fishermen and boat Caravela with Ward.The barrel-vaulted ceiling is decorated with ornamental painting and coat of arms of Portugal.

Largo of the Assumption, CascaisMass: Monday to Saturday: 19.15h and 10.00hSunday: 10:00 am, 11.15h, 12.30h, 19.15h

Source: Parish of Cascais
 
 
____________________________________________
 
 
Igreja Matriz de Nossa Senhora da Assunção

Situada na proximidade do Forte da Cidadela e do antigo Convento de Nossa Senhora da Piedade, a matriz de Cascais, sob a invocação de Nossa Senhora da Assunção, é muito antiga. A gravura de Brau, datada de 1572, tem assinalada já uma igreja no local. Há conhecimento de o culto ter passado, em 1671, para a capela do Socorro - antecedente da actual Igreja dos Navegantes – por motivo de uma campanha de obras de restauro e beneficiação geral. Em 21 de Dezembro de 1681 é reaberta ao culto.
O terramoto de 1755 provocou bastantes estragos na igreja principalmente na zona da fachada e do coro-alto, impedindo o seu funcionamento normal. O culto passou a ter lugar na pequena capela de Nossa Senhora da Nazaré – da antiga Casa dos Falcões. Tendo sido destruída também a igreja da Ressurreição de Cristo, situada à entrada da vila, passa a existir uma única freguesia englobando as duas anteriormente existentes, tendo a paroquial aglutinado os dois nomes – Paróquia de Nossa Senhora da Assunção e Ressurreição.

Descrição


A igreja é de planta longitudinal, de grande simplicidade exterior. A fachada principal, voltada a ocidente, é composta por 3 corpos separados por pilastras de cantaria. O corpo principal tem um portal de verga recta com um ático triangular, e 3 janelões, iluminando o coro-alto, o central diferenciando-se pelo remate em verga curva destacada. As 2 torres sineiras laterais, de secção quadrada, estão rematadas por cobertura piramidal.
O interior da igreja é amplo e claro, com uma componente ornamental muito rica, articulando o revestimento azulejar com a talha dourada e pintura.
Logo à entrada do lado direito, o baptistério apresenta as paredes e a abóbada revestida de azulejo policromo de motivos geométricos, um painel de azulejo com a representação de São Pedro na parede frontal e a pia baptismal em pedra, circular, decorada com estrias.
O coro-alto, adossado à face interna da fachada, apresenta guarda em balaustrada de madeira assente em amplo arco abatido e cobertura em abóbada de aresta.
A nave tem cobertura em abóbada de berço com uma pintura no medalhão central com a Assunção de Nossa Senhora, da autoria de José Malhoa, do início do século XX.
Tem quatro altares laterais em talha dourada no chamado “estilo nacional”.
Do lado direito o altar de São Miguel, da irmandade de São Miguel e Almas. O frontal, datável de cerca de 1640, descoberto durante as obras de restauro do interior entre 1969 e 1973, é notável pela riqueza da composição. Apresenta no plano central três pequenas figuras: São Miguel ao centro numa moldura rectangular, ladeado por 2 medalhões com Almas do Purgatório. A capela do Santíssimo Sacramento, apresenta um retábulo em talha dourada e marmoreada com uma Última Ceia do séc. XVIII da autoria de Pedro Alexandrino. A grade de madeira entalhada, peça de carpintaria nacional, é notável pelo desenho e talha dourada.
Do lado esquerdo, o altar de Nossa Senhora do Carmo e o altar de São Pedro com uma escultura em madeira estofada do séc. XVII, São Pedro na Cátedra, de grande dimensão.
As paredes da nave estão revestidas com painéis de azulejo historiados datados na sua maioria de 1720, com uma composição ornamental de albarradas no registo inferior. Representam cenas da vida de Nossa Senhora, sendo do lado esquerdo, o Nascimento da Virgem, a Apresentação de Nossa Senhora no Templo e Os Esponsais da Virgem. Do lado direito, seguem-se A Anunciação e O Nascimento de Jesus. O último painel, Juízo Final, é mais recente – 1908 - da autoria de Pereira Cão..
Acima do silhar de azulejos expõem-se um conjunto de 8 pinturas em tela da autoria de Josefa de Óbidos, provenientes do antigo Convento de Nossa Senhora da Piedade dos Carmelitas Descalços e para aqui transferidas na sequência da extinção das ordens religiosas em 1834. São referentes à vida e espiritualidade de Santa Teresa de Ávila, datadas de 1672-73. À direita a representação do O Menino Jesus Salvador do Mundo, Sagrada Família e Visão de São João da Cruz; à esquerda: Santa Teresa Esposa Mística, A Virgem e São José dão um colar a Santa Teresa, Santa Teresa Doutora Mística inspirada pelo Espírito Santo, Transverberação de Santa Teresa e
Santa Teresa diante da Trindade.
O púlpito do lado esquerdo, circular, em mármore é do séc. XVII. O arco triunfal de volta perfeita em cantaria, precedendo a capela-mor, está ladeado por dois altares colaterais de invocação mariana: do lado direito de Nossa Senhora da Conceição, do lado esquerdo de Nossa Senhora das Candeias.
A capela-mor apresenta um retábulo em talha dourada em “estilo nacional” presidido pela imagem de Nossa Senhora da Assunção. A capela está forrada de azulejos policromos semelhantes aos da capela baptismal.
Na capela-mor existem ainda quatro painéis quinhentistas – do primeiro quartel do século XVI – atribuídos ao Mestre da Lourinhã. São quatro pinturas constituindo, muito provavelmente, parte de um retábulo primitivo. É constituído por um díptico com A Anunciação – a Virgem e o Anjo - e dois painéis representando respectivamente O Nascimento de Jesus e A Adoração dos Reis Magos.
A sala da antiga Irmandade dos Marítimos, com acesso pela capela-mor, é de planta rectangular. As paredes estão totalmente revestidas de azulejos de composição figurativa, um conjunto notável, monocromáticos, azul em fundo branco, provavelmente do monogramista P.M.P. , datados de 1720, encomenda desta Irmandade, segundo a respectiva inscrição: ESTA OBRA MANDARAM FAZER A SVA CVSTA OS IRMÃOS PESCADORES NA ERA DE 1720. Referem-se a passagens do Antigo Testamento: O Rei David toca à frente da Arca; Instalação no templo da arca da aliança; Travessia do Mar Vermelho. Na parede frontal, um arcaz de grande dimensão, ladeado com dois painéis de azulejo, Barco com pescadores e Caravela com Custódia.
O tecto em abóbada de berço está decorado com pintura ornamental e o escudo de armas de Portugal.

Largo da Assunção, Cascais
Missas: Segunda a Sábado: 10.00h e 19.15h
Domingo: 10.00h, 11.15h, 12.30h, 19.15h


Fonte: Paróquia de Cascais

http://www.paroquiadecascais.org/index.php 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Post a Comment